Green Century’s Shareholder Advocate will bring critical environmental concerns to America’s largest corporations and help develop strategies to ensure that the corporations respond by improving their practices.
The Shareholder Advocate will research a broad range of environmental issues and corporate practices to identify opportunities for change and will help develop the business case for taking responsible environmental action. The Shareholder Advocate will also help coordinate Green Century’s work with that of other responsible investors as well as with the broader community of environmental advocates, researchers, and policy experts.
The Advocate will also bring pressure to bear on targeted corporations by promoting Green Century’s issues, campaigns, and work.
The Advocate will work closely with our other shareholder advocates and report to the President.
Green Century is seeking a candidate with a demonstrated commitment to the environment, excellent writing skills, exceptional people skills, an appreciation of strategy, a fearless approach
to calling members of the media, and a proven ability to juggle multiple projects. The candidate should be able to work effectively in both corporate and non-profit settings.
Specific responsibilities of the position may include and are not limited to:
• Assisting in the development and implementation of the annual advocacy plan
• Assisting in the development and implementation of actions targeting specific
environmental concerns and companies
• Communicating with corporations through written correspondence, telephone, and in-
• Negotiating with company representatives
• Drafting and filing shareholder resolutions
• Attending corporate annual general meetings
• Voting the proxies for companies owned by Green Century and the Funds
• Representing Green Century in shareholder coalitions
• Developing and working with selected coalition efforts
• Communicating with non-profit organizations to develop and coordinate actions
• Writing and distributing press releases and speaking with members of the press
• Writing and producing materials describing Green Century’s work
• Promoting Green Century to various audiences
• Supporting the broader mission of Green Century and our non-profit owners, as needed
• Other duties, as requested
We seek applicants who possess a strong commitment to environmental issues and environmentally responsible businesses. The successful candidate will also bring the following skills and attributes to the position: strong verbal, writing, interpersonal, strategic, and analytical skills; energy and commitment to socially responsible investing; a team orientation that balances individual contribution and group effort; and an ability to bring integrity and collegiality to our corporate dialogues. Ability to travel periodically and a college degree is required.
Salary & Benefits
Salary for this position is set on a non-profit scale and is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. Green Century Capital Management offers a competitive benefits package.
Please visit www.greencentury.com
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter in confidence to: email@example.com
. Please indicate in the subject line: Green Century Shareholder Advocacy Candidate.
About Green Century
Green Century Capital Management, Inc. administers the Green Century Funds, the first family of environmentally responsible, diversified and fossil fuel free mutual funds in the nation. Founded and wholly owned by non-profit environmental advocacy organizations, Green Century is dedicated to promoting an environmentally sustainable economy. The Green Century Funds are designed to achieve competitive returns while incorporating both values-based screens and ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) ratings and performance to invest in sustainable companies. Green Century conducts a robust shareholder engagement program to curb climate change, promote sustainable agriculture and press for greater corporate environmental responsibility.
The Green Century mission:
• Provide environmentally responsible investing opportunities for those who care about
the planet while seeking competitive returns
• Promote environmental responsibility through a comprehensive shareholder advocacy
• Support the advocacy and public interest work of Green Century’s founding non-profit
organizations by generating revenue to fund their programs
Green Century Capital Management is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy or veteran status.